column fades

Questions and Answers

Q: What type of program is best for me?

A: If you or someone you care for has a substance abuse problem and needs help, consider the following steps:

  1. Discuss your situation with a professional alcohol and drug counselor, doctor, therapist or other medical provider to help you determine the severity of your problem along several dimensions, and determine what type of treatment might work best for you. Questions to consider include:
    • Do you need a specialized program that treats multiple addictions or do you have a psychiatric or physical illness along with your substance abuse problem?
    • Are you likely to have significant withdrawal symptoms if you stop drinking/using?
    • How supportive of your sobriety are the people around you?
    • How ready are you to change?
    • How likely are you to relapse?
    The answers to these questions can help you determine if you need an outpatient program, an intensive outpatient or day treatment program, a residential treatment program, or detoxification.
  2. Next, use the resources listed on this website to help you identify programs that might meet your particular needs.
  3. Call the programs that interest you to see if they are available to you. If they are, ask how to go about participating (or enrolling).
  4. If they are full, don't give up. Ask them to recommend another program or service.
  5. Find out if your insurance provider offers coverage for treatment services. If you don't have adequate coverage, consider public treatment options.
  6. Ask a trusted family member or friend to help you select a recovery option using the resources listed on this site.
  7. Enroll or otherwise commit yourself to the service or option you have chosen (in most cases you don't need a doctor's referral).

Finally, remember that treatment programs or counseling are good starts. However, when you get back to 'normal' everyday life, you'll most likely need ongoing support such as AA or other 12 step recovery.

If you are confused or otherwise need help the county's Health Services Agency can answer questions or direct you to other sources of information. Just call (831) 454-HELP.

One final word: Don't give up! Some people experience a relapse after completing a treatment program. Recovery is an ongoing process: recommit yourself to the freedom of drug free living.

green line

top of page